Monday, June 16, 2008

He did it again....but even better!...LOL

Last Thursday night my brother Nick graduated from BTLE. (basic training in law enforcement) He has been in school for the last 18 weeks. I have to tell you, for me, going to his graduation was harder than I thought it would be...we did this before, 6 yrs ago. Nick entered Char-Meck police acadmy in October of 2001....we found out Daddy was sick in December, Nick graduated then, in April of 2002 and daddy died in May...Nick's graduation is the last thing Daddy attended before he went into the hospital for the last time. I have a picture from the first graduation hanging in my living room...b/c it's the only picture I have that has daddy and Alex in it. ANYWAY... for those of you who don't know, Nick left the police force not long after daddy died, I still call it grief, but he just couldn't handle it. Since that time, he has had many jobs, but none "fit" him like being a police officer. This past December he decided to go back through school(b/c if you leave the field for so long you have to be trained again) and start his career over as a police officer. SO....now for the best part. He received an award...at graduation....and before I tell you what award, let me tell you about some of the other awards(the ones I thought he might get...lol) there was an award for the top popap(a timed fitness thing)there was the "top gun" honestly I thought he would have that one....him and his guns! Let's just say, something NEVER change! there was one for team spirit and best grade in the class.(now I wasn't betting much on that last one!...hehe...but Nick didn't receive any of those awards. I was sitting there thinking, Lord, it really would have boost his confidence if he got an award, but there is NO way he will get this last one, NO WAY. I know you know best Lord, but He need to feel like he did well, especially in this. WELL....I know you are all sitting on the edge of your seat now!lol....Here I sit, watching my brother graduate...again!...thinking about how my mom must be feeling, missing daddy a little (you never go though these things w/o that feeling...but knowing how proud he is of him) thinking about the fact that doctors told my parents, when Nick was about 5, that Nick would never be a "functioning adult"(of course my question is....who is ?) w/ all his "learning problems and labels" and they announce "Nicholas Helms as winner of the highest score on the state exam for his class" It makes me smile and cry even now just thinking about it....(I am pregnant!) Even his own jaw hit the ground! God is SO cool, He also knew Nick needed that, God spoke back to me, and reminded me that HE alone knows what's best, and HE alone cares about each of us more than anyone else does. That He didn't need me to give HIM ideas on "what should happen....He's got that one covered" It was the coolest thing! So Nick has finished school...w/ a bang I might add. and is now on his way into a job....he has an interview tomorrow, I have no doubt that God will once again put him exactly where he wants him to be!

Nick, I am SO proud of you, I love you....and I KNOW daddy is SO proud of you too!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow, that is really awesome Beth!!! Way to go Nick!!!

Shannon said...

Oh, I almost forgot... I FINALLY did the tag, lol. Better late than never, right?

Jenny said...

WOW!!! Way to go, Nick!! That's AWESOME!!!

4torock said...

Way to go Nick!! So glad your back to bloggin Beth... I missed em so much!! see ya

Crystal B. Brewer said...

Oh my gosh Beth, I am so stinking proud of Nick. You have to tell him for me. I remember way back when.... those first few times I went home with you from school and Nick would go shoot his guns and tell me all about how he wanted to be a police officer. I'm glad he decided to go at it again. It always seemed to be the perfect job for him. I miss you guys. Move closer! P.S. Did you ever find the present?

BE said...

Way to go, Nick! How exciting!