Tuesday, July 1, 2008

It will always be his birthday...

Just because he isn't here to celebrate it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Happy Birthday Daddy. As always I miss you like crazy and wish I could talk to you...so much. Mom the kids and I were in Albemarle yesterday, it was such a fun trip to see some friends and eat at the Rosebriar. I haven't seen Erin and her mom in a long time, Erin and I grew up together and were always in and out of each others houses...her dad was a school teacher in Locust and would take me home w/ him to spend the night w/ Erin alot when we were young....you know sometimes I really do miss those days. Erin and I have another thing in common, we both lost our dad's within a few months of each other...Chuckie died in March and dad died in May. I so clearly remember his funeral, we sat in the very back...and what I remember most is thinking, that I hoped God would give me the same amount of peace I saw in Erin when I was my turn to make that same walk...you know the one behind the casket. I knew it wouldn't be long before I was where she was....although I begged God to change those circumstances for me...in my heart I knew the answer He had given to me....that funeral was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced in my life...Chuckie's and dad's.

Every year on dad's birthday(or the weekend nearest) we would go and spend the day with some friends at there parents pool. Dad and Dave (Leigh and Shannon's dad) shared a birthday...and I'm not sure when it even started, but for quiet a few years it was an event always to be looked forward to. There was always food, and volleyball and the pool and FUN. It's still hard for me that today is such a normal "not much going on" kinda day...well, I think I have run out of words....or energy, so I will end w/ this

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE....AND DADDY!

4 comments:

Susan said...

I didn't know your dad's birthday was coming up...these type of days can't be easy for you. But at least you have specific memories to carry you through days like today. Sorry I wasn't around today - call me!

Shannon said...

I remember those days so well. Chuckie was my godfather, and we also spent many nights over there. I forgot that our dads had the same birthday, thinking of you today.
We need to do another pool party for all of the old homeschoolers crowd, so all the kids can meet each other.

BE said...

Hugs, Beth! I have such great memories of your dad and just doing things with your whole family. I will cherish those moments and I truly hope my children will be able to have those same types of memories with their childhood (and teenage) friends. We definitely need to get together- Soon!

Anonymous said...

Beth, I have a picture of your father sleeping on Mom's patio in a chair by the pool. This year was strange with my Dave being in New Guinea on his birthday. I know you miss your dad. Mine died last August and I miss him still. Heaven is a wonderful place, and I'm glad they're there. Come back and swim with your kids!
Judy