Tuesday, October 23, 2007

sometimes I act like my 3 year old!

Ok so do you ever have those moments as a parent that you stop and think.....does God feel this way about me sometimes? I love my children and would die for them in a minute, just as God gave everything for me when He sent His son to die for me. I desire for my children to be well behaved, happy, and well-adjusted...hehe if there is such a thing. Just like I know my Saviour wants for me. But somedays my kids do things that make me shake my head and wonder if they are getting anything I am trying to teach them....so this is Emma's newest thought process!

Today after lunch, Ian is already in bed for his nap and Emma and I had been working on her "preschool pages" a book I got for her, for us to work on together, we had finished the pages and she was cutting them (to pieces!) which is what we do to keep from just wasting the paper (it's let her cut it or just throw it away and her cut blank paper instead!...genius I know! lol) So when she started to cut her paper I told her "Emma in 10 minutes it will be "rest time"" aka nap time! I set the clock for 10 minutes (so I wouldn't forget! lol) at 9 minutes I gave her a one more minute....so all that to say she knew what was coming.....the timer goes off and I say, "Please put your paper in the trash and go and use the potty" to which she sweetly says "no" it's not a mean no or a snotty no, it's not a no that makes your toes curl, just no, almost like a "no thank you"....BUT one thing we have been working very hard on lately is not talking back AT ALL, but obeying immediately....so I turned and looked at her and said "Emma, I'm not going to ask you again, but I will give you a chance to think about the answer you gave me, or you can go and sit in timeout" to which Emma says "Where's the time out chair?" As I stood there....trying not to laugh.....for she was serious.....it struck me...it had to be my holy spirit.....how often do I do that to God.....I did it even tonight. God will be teaching me something.....I will start to disobey, He gives me a "warning" and I just say....where is the timeout chair?
Ok so next thing is.....she went and put herself in time out (don't even think what a good little girl!) and about 30 seconds later, she says "mommy, I'm ready for you....come and talk to me!" You see, when Emma goes into timeout she stays for 1 minute for every year old she is....so 3 minutes (although I'm thinking about adding 30 more seconds for 1/2 a yr! lol) and then at the end of her time out we "talk" about what happened and what would happen if she does it again. SO she puts herself in timeout and then is "ready" to be done and wants me to come and talk to her so it can be over! AGAIN I was struck by how much this is what I can do w/ God. I say "I learned" and want to just forget about it, to be done w/ it, and I now realized that He's prabably thinking.....Not quite!....just like I was w/ Emma. I knew she didn't feel remorse for what she did, it was all a "game" at the moment for her, she wasn't learning anything, she wasn't sorry and I was sure she would do it again. How often are we like that? We receive a repremand from an experiance, say, I'm sorry Lord, I've learned and then turn right around and do it again. Now like all parents I know learning is a curve, it doesn't all happen at once, but as the child, a child of God, it is my responsibility to look at my "warnings" and lession and take them to heart. To hear the voice of the Lord and actually listen to it and not selectively as my kids do, but to take what I hear daily from Him and apply it to my life! And the next time I act like my three yr old, stop and realized that I am acting like my three yr old and God is once again trying to teach me and it's my job to "listen and obey!".....(which is my pet phrase I use w/ my kids!)
disclaimer.....my three yr old is an AWESOME little girl! I want all to hear that loud and clear! I am and always will be her biggest cheerleader! She is sweet and tenderhearted, she loves to learn and loves Jesus so much already! I am so blessed....which I learned means totally satisifed.....to have been given her, I love every experience I have w/ her and can't wait to see what God's plan for her is going to be! I love her child-like faith, her trust and her contented-ness w/ life! Her biggest "dreams" right now include pierced ears, being a ballerina, and going to "Lva'tion church" (elevation) and don't forget "iwantta cubbie cubbies" (awana cubbies) :)....that should complete her list along w/ the constant planning of her next birthday....yet content that Jesus' birthday and her brother's will come first! She truely is one awesome kid!

1 comment:

4torock said...

so funny!!-
**I changed my blog colors and all and then checking all my friends blogs- yours is same- THAT'S where I had seen it before!!! LOL!! Well it's stayin for a while - U have GREAT taste by the way :),I love the colors.... I miss ya and hope to see you around :)