Thursday, November 15, 2007

November 17, a day I'll NEVER forget!

I can't go past the date of November 17th w/o saying "Thank you Lord Jesus for my husband and for letting me keep him" Two years ago today our lives were changed forever, ever since that day I have been so thankful(fitting that it falls so close to Thanksgiving!) for what I have... and I understand how fast things can change! It was 5 oclock in the afternoon, I got a phone call, I thought it would be Alex calling to tell me to pack the car and get Emma ready...for we were suppose to leave for the beach on that Thursday afternoon/evening....instead it was our neighbor Joe who worked w/ Alex...I knew something was wrong! He told me, Alex had fallen and I needed to come to the hospital to "pick him up"...to get Emma ready, not to go to the beach, but to the hospital....he would call me back and tell me where they were taking him! No I didn't panic...not yet, I got off the phone and called my mom and asked her and Gary to come and go w/ me, I called a friend...actually I think I was on 1 phone w/ her and Joe called my other phone.... and let her know and asked her to pray....and I waited....not knowing the seriousness of the fall...which I found out later was thanks to Alex telling Joe exactly what to say to me so I wouldn't freak out...imagine, my husband laying on a cement floor 2 stories up waiting on the EMT...not moving, clutching his one wrist....thinking clearly enough to tell someone what he wants me to know so I won't "worry" about him....and you wonder why I love him so much!....so the second phone call brought more info....CMC downtown....why? it's not the closest hospital....b/c there might be head trama....what?....well he was awake the whole time, that's a good sign....ok??.....I think he might of "sprained" his wrist and broke his nose!(which was one of the things not broken...his nose! :)...ok...how far did he fall?....about 17ft....but it could have been worse...he landed near a elevator opening...he could have gone down another floor!...
So we trapse off to the hospital..I received a phone call...from who I can't even remember, but I was told it was on the news...that freaked me out a litte....I also received a call from our pastor b/f I even got to the hospital...our church at that time, really stood behind us through everything going on, to which I will forever be greatful for. When I reached the hospital I found Alex's mom (she worked there so she was able to be there when the EMT's arrived) and a dr came over to talk to me, they were doing x-rays and I couldn't go in b/c of being pregnant. I stood back and watched in horror as they tugged on his broken lims to do x-rays...they waited to hear. The dr's came back and started talking about surgury and I still didn't even know what was broken....
Ok so this could be a way to long story so I'm going to start the fast version!...one fractured wrist on the right, one "crushed into 17 pieces wrist on the left" one broke left knee....and 2 surguries the next day w/ a doctor who said Alex would never play his guitar again...I realize now he was probably wondering why I wasn't just glad he was alive!....one week in the hospital! One 7 month prego w/ a tilted pelvic bone...me, one broken man...alex..... one 16 month baby girl w/ a horrible bout of broncitius ...Emma.... and one awesome set of family and friends...12 weeks of "non-weightbearing on all three lims....3 months living w/ my mom and Gary...5 months of physical therapy....back to work 1 week before 1 wonderful baby boy was born! 5 months until back playing the guitar as wonderful as ever! Our God is a big God...
As I approach thanksgiving week I come again to ponder everything we went through in those months....tears of thankfulness come to my eyes...because Alex should have hit his head....only by God's hand did his hardhat stay on his head...if it hadn't he would of hit face first. instead he didn't even break his nose...or hit his head at all. OSHA told us of a story of a young husband that fell less feet and hit grass that is now living his life in a wheelchair...yet this isn't what happened either. Everytime I think back to everything that happened and how horrible it was, I just have to stop and thank God that HE brought us through and it could have been so much worse.....truely I could/should be facing this Thanksgiving w/o a husband....that is something I can't imagine....I know from now until forever I will always remember to be thankful for what God has given me every thanksgiving....b/c Nov.17 will always fall right before, and I will never forget how close I came to loosing the love of my life that day. Thank you God for what you have given me...I am grateful!

3 comments:

dawn said...

i remember that day very well. i am so glad you are able to give God all the glory and all the thanks. i know that was a rough time. and look how you have come through, all of you! praise God!!

4torock said...

Well said Dawn! Praise God!! :) I never new that young man that we prayed for at church that one Sunday was Alex ( We had just started going there and didn't even know u guys ) and to think- Alex taught my little one how to play guitar after all of that! WOW!! By the way she is still practicing :)

Chelsea said...

I can't believe it been a year! So glad that God brought you all through that tough time and that you are able to give him thanks now.