Tuesday, March 17, 2009

a note from Gary, and more info on his cancer

Subject: Latest update on Gary

Monday, March 16, 2008

Dear Friends:

First of all Shirley and I want to thank you for praying for us during these days of testing. We are so appreciative and can literally "feel" your prayers.

Last week I went to the oncologist to have a bone marrow biopsy along with additional blood work. In addition we visited the lab at the hospital for a chest X-ray and an echo-electrocardiogram. The object was to determine the progression of the MTS and to see if anything else was going on that could be producing my current fatigue and breathlessness. We were to get the results within a week.

This morning Dr. Boyd (my oncologist) called and said that the aspiration from the bone marrow test had been received and it shows that now I have progressed from the MTS into Acute leukemia. He is recommending that we come to the office tomorrow to discuss the plan of treatment hoping to lead to a stage of remission. Becca, Beth, Shirley and I will be meeting with the Dr. around noon tomorrow (March 17).

Our request is that you remember Dr. Boyd as he determines the medication for me to take and any treatments he feels would be beneficial to me. Also for myself and the girls as we listen and attempt to assimilate the information in an orderly way.

We will let you know the results of this appointment and keep you posted as we go along.

Thank you all again for your loving support.
Gary & Shirley
Jude 24, 25.



I know for some of you, this is a complete surprise, some of you may of known a little about what's been going on...but I wanted to take a few minutes to fill everyone in....the above is a letter that my mom and Gary sent out yesterday and it explains what's going on w/ Gary and his cancer....to fill in the blanks a little, we found out a few months back that Gary had what is labeled MTS...don't ask me what the "longer" term is...I don't know, but what it is, is a condition where the white blood cells make "bad" cells and then the "bad cells eat the good ones....nice huh! We knew from the beginning that eventually it would become leukemia, but we were given on time frame....well, over the last few weeks Gary's tiredness and energy began to decrease so the dr decided to run some more test and that is where the letter picked up that I posted above.

Today we visited Dr. Boyd whom Gary mentioned above and he has referred Gary to a dr at Duke University. We have an appointment tomorrow morning at Duke, under the assumption that we will be starting treatment (chemo) as soon as possible and then once Gary has reached the state of remission he will be able to go through a stem cell transplant, that will completely rid his body of the "bad" cells.

Here is where I need y'all...everyone...Please! There is alot of "IF's" involved here. There is ALOT that has to go right. We are and will walk by faith through this, knowing that God is in control. My family is scared right now, ALOT of this is familiar territory for us, before resulting in a very painful ending. I personally have had to make the choice to believe that Gary can make a full recovery...it's harder this time, I believed the same thing w/ my dad...and well...he didn't.

So here are the prayer request concerning Gary. First and foremost, a full recovery, second for wisdom for his doctors. For strength for each day, for a donor match, for the chemo to be effective and for remission to be reach. For my mom and Gary's girls that they will have grace for each moment and with each new piece of information. For all of Gary's grandkids, and for everyone involved to know the best way to answer their questions....Thank you for the prayer and support I know will be out there! I have to say, everyone is holding up very well, and I know it is because of prayer...please don't stop!

with love
Beth

7 comments:

BE said...

We are praying.... for all of you. Thank You for keeping us updated.

dawn said...

we will be praying for you, gary and the whole family. thank you for sharing this update and specific prayers. please let me know if there is anything i can do for you.

Shannon said...

Praying for you and your family.

Susan said...

We will continue to pray for your whole family - you know I'm here if you need me (even if that means driving to Duke to pick you up....) Hang in there! God is good and He is in control! Love you all!

Katie said...

I will keep you guys in my prayers. If there is anything more specific you want prayer for just let me know.
With Faith's Leukemia (I don't know if it is the same kind she has A.L.L.) it is a long road but God is good and He will do what brings Him glory. Rest in Him knowing He cares and loves you guys more then anyone ever can.
Thank you for sharing and letting us pray for you guys. I am sure it is a very touchy and painful thing to talk about.
Let us know how things go and like I said if there is anything else that you want me to pray for.

4torock said...

Beth -
Thanks for sharing and I will lift you all up on prayer... U are such a strong woman -thats one of the many things I like about u:) Hope to see u soon and will get the word out to pray, pray, pray!! xo

Shannon said...

Writing this for my mom, she is camping with my boys. They are praying for Gary and your family. Keep them posted. She won't be back until Wednesday, but she wanted you and your mom to know you are in her prayers.